Scouting Alumni Service Commemoration
25, 50, & 75 Years of Service
Those of us who live by the Scout Oath and Scout Law understand the importance of Scouting. We became Scouting volunteers because we believe in the character-building experience that the Scouting Movement provides youth. BSA Alumni Association has developed a commemorative medallion to celebrate the years of service provided by Scouting Alumni.
This Commemoration serves to recognize Scouting Alumni for service to youth via their community, their profession, their religion, and other youth-serving organizations, as well as to Scouting. This is not an award per se, but rather a recognition of service. Thus, there are no forms, no record keeping, no signatures or review, and no approval. It represents and celebrates the good deeds of recipients, the contributions that take many different forms: serving in national, regional, council, district or unit capacities, supporting the movement through financial donations or donations in-kind; and living an extemporary life guided by the Scout Oath and Scout Law. Calculating years of service is on the “On my honor” system and begins when one first enters the Scouting program as a youth or an adult.
Because of the deep impact of Scouting, this commemoration recognizes that duty and service to others by recipients is based in part on training, experience and challenges that Scouting provides. This very special medallion, features the founder of Scouting, Lord Baden Powell and service to youth.
The idea behind this tribute is to allow units, districts, or councils to present them in a public setting, but without a formal process. Presentations should be simple, with honor, respect and dignity.
- Recipients may self-purchase OR purchase on behalf of another person.
- Years of service are on the “On my honor” system in terms of calculating tenure. Applicants may not “double count” years of service if serving in more than one position.
- Commemoration medallions are available for 25 years (Bronze), 50 years (Gold), and 75 years (Silver) of service are accompanied by a lapel pin and certificate. There is room to engrave a name, years of service, or other special information on the obverse of the medallion.
- Purchase the appropriate Commemoration medallion(s).
Note: The online BSA Alumni store is currently closed and should reopen later in 2023.
- Present the Commemoration medallion(s) to the recipient(s).
- Although there are officially no forms, no record keeping, no signatures or review, and no approval in order to purchase and present Commemoration medallions, the Dan Beard Alumni Association would love to recognize recipients on this page. Please use the online form below to submit this information and share their story, if desired.
Submission Deadline: None/Ongoing Award