Philmont Program Announcement — Ute Park Fire
The safety of our youth participants, volunteers and staff is a priority for everybody at Philmont Scout Ranch and the Boy Scouts of America. While efforts continue to extinguish the fire currently burning in the back-country, the anticipated damage and inability to access the affected areas makes it currently impossible to host back country programs. Until the fire is extinguished, the areas are inspected and the damage assessed, it is impossible to definitively state when those programs will resume.

At this time, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all backcountry treks that were scheduled to take place in the Philmont backcountry from June 8 – July 14, 2018. We hope that back country treks may resume after July 14, 2018 with altered itineraries, assuming the back country is safe and infrastructure is restored.

Additionally, programs scheduled to take place at Philmont Training Center will also be canceled through June 23, 2018. The Philmont Training Center expects to welcome back participants beginning with Philmont Family Adventure on June 24, 2018.

The NAYLE program, which takes place at Rayado Ridge Leadership Camp seven miles south of the Philmont Base Camp and is unaffected by the Ute Park Fire, will go on as scheduled.

Over the next few days, we will be contacting the lead advisor or contingent leader of all crews that are impacted by this decision, starting with those that are scheduled to arrive first, as well as affected PTC coordinators. Thank you in advance for allowing the Philmont team to contact your crew — your assistance will help make sure that Philmont phone lines remain open.

We will continue to work with local, state and federal authorities to continuously evaluate the fire and air quality to ensure that we can safely deliver outstanding program.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Al Lambert
Assistant Chief Scout Executive, National Director of Outdoor Adventures

(For more information on the fire, please visit Philmont’s Fire Information page, as well as InciWeb.)

Statement from Northern Tier:

Due to safety concerns surrounding the UTE Park Fire, Philmont has canceled a number of trips from their summer 2018 season. Details and up to date information can be found at

Obviously the situation is still very fluid, but Northern Tier is working hard to put together a plan to assist with the crews displaced by the fires near Philmont Scout Ranch. We want to be able to work with as many crews as possible, however we are limited by permit, facility and program capacity. As we assess what we can accommodate over the next few days, information from you will be helpful. Please use this link to provide us with the details of your Philmont Crew and we will reach out to you once we have more details on what options may be available.

Thank you for your patience.