Qualified candidates must submit cover letter and resume by clicking the button below.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted.
The Camping Director is responsible for the successful development, promotion, and execution of all camping programs of the Dan Beard Council. In particular, the camping director leads the council’s summer camp operations.
- Serves as overall director for summer camp programs at Camp Friedlander and Cub World, including serving as onsite, resident director for the Camp Friedlander summer program.
- Manages two full-time staff members and over 100 seasonal camp staff members to achieve successful program and financial measures.
- Develops and leads promotional campaigns for summer camp. Also responsible for promoting year-round use of properties.
- Leads the seasonal summer camp staff to ensure the highest standards of quality in safe program design and delivery are met.
- Manages budget for summer and year-round programs, meeting revenue expectations.
- Builds volunteer committees to support camp promotion and special program operation.
- Provides guidance to major outdoor programs and activities, including council-wide camporee, high adventure programs, or other related programs identified as filling needs in the council outdoor program.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision by team leader. This position requires discretion, independent judgment, and ability to make recommendations and decisions regarding matters of significance.
- Must be able to manage projects from conception to implementation, working in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Strong multi-tasking ability is essential. Work may have frequent interruptions requiring ability to move from project to project at a moment’s notice while maintaining a positive attitude. Must be detail-oriented and accurate.
- Have a strong ability with interpersonal relations and deal productively with conflict.
- Has previous experience with camp administration and proven success leading a large seasonal staff.
- Willingness to work in a flexible work schedule situation which may require extra hours, particularly in the summer.
- Has strong computer skills, including MS Office applications.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Previous BSA professional experience is welcomed, but not required.
- Has a strong belief in the Scouting program and willingness to live by the Scout Oath and Law.
Physical Activities and Mental Demands:
Reaching, standing, walking, lifting, talking, hearing, reading, repetitive motions, detailed work, record-keeping, confidentiality, reasoning, verbal and written communication, public contact, multiple concurrent tasks, numerous interruptions, minor stress.
Work is both indoors in an office environment, and outdoors in all types of weather. When at the camps, the employee may be exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Position Reports To:
Assistant Director of Support Services/Program Team Lead
Dan Beard Council is an equal opportunity employer. The council offers a competitive salary, in the range of $45-60k depending in experience. Benefits include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, long-term disability, a matching 403(b) retirement plan, plus reimbursement for authorized and approved business expenses. We also offer generous vacation policy and holiday observances.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Phil.Klayer@scouting.org by Sept 7, 2021.